7 Tips for Better Website Homepages
Reading Time: 1 minute
Have you ever stopped to think about which links should be on your homepage?
The links on your homepage are crucial for your business to have the best ranking on search engines and for directing your visitors to the correct page.
When I refer to a link on your homepage, I mean a link within the actual page content and not within any of your navigation menus.
Your homepage needs to include links to all of your most important pages and content. It’s that simple!
But what does this mean in practice?
Table Of Content
7 things to include on your website home pages
- Include links to most or all pages on your top navigation menu since these are typically very important pages.
- Then review your footer for links to any pages you want to rank in search results.
- If you regularly publish articles, podcasts or videos, then include links to the category pages and/or the page which lists all of published content.
- If you have content hubs, then include links to the top page that organizes the content within it.
- If you have parent pages with several child pages (e.g. /my-parent-page/ and /my-parent-page/child-page/ ) then include links to each parent page.
- Include all of your key product or service offerings.
- Consider including top pages already ranking in the search engines.
Here’s an example of how the blog category pages are linked from The Digital Navigator homepage.
The benefits of website homepage optimization
Since I publish multiple pieces of content every month these category pages are extremely valuable for my website visitors and for search engines. I emphasize this importance by linking to them from our homepage.
When inserting links you want to use descriptive words. Notice how I didn’t say “Learn More” on any of the category page button links.
That’s it for today!
How can I sell content to make money?
There are several content models you can use to make money online. We suggest using sign-ups for pre-recorded course offerings, workshops or live courses, flagship offers, on-demand courses, and other course programming packages per your expertise!
How can I build a content model to sell my content successfully?
There are two fundamental approaches to doing this: some people build an audience first, and then determine how they will monetize their content later. Others have their business model first, and organize their content strategy to target that audience and get their attention. We advise using a combination of both approaches. First, identify your primary or flagship product offering AND how you will build your audience. Then begin to look into how you will monetize the products within a business model.
What is the process to make money with content online?
Start by organizing a business model for your content online, then utilize Zoom and Google Drive to start recording, organizing, and distributing your content online. Finally, evolve your offerings by moving your content onto a learning management system (LMS) like LearnDash. Read more about LMS integrations HERE